[4.1b] [In-Depth] Semi-Tank Vi Guide
- Very tanky
- Does decent damage
- Allows you to survive teamfights more often
- Good in high-elo
- Relies on Vault Breaker for mobility
- Very costly build
- Falls behind late game
Best Build Guide for Vi
Item Build Description
Additional information on the items
- Long Sword will be your starting item as it allows you to hit harder and deal more damage to jungle camps in early game. This item is also useful to build up to your first core item: Divine Sunderer .
- While both Divine Sunderer and Trinity Force are great items, it's clear that one of them is better than the other. When it comes to shredding tanks and sustain, Divine Sunderer is clearly superior. Not only that, you can pair it up with Black Cleaver , increasing your damage even further. The reason you can't build Black Cleaver with Trinity Force is because of the Phage passive since both items have it (item passives don't stack). Trinity Force makes Black Cleaver irrelevant given you only pick Trinity Force if you aren't facing tanky opponents.
- To put it simply,
allows you and your teammates to shred off tanks because of it's passive; Sunder. For every hit, you reduce the enemy's armor by 4% stacking up to 6 times, up to 24%. This is good for
because his passive (20% armor reduction) stacks with
's passive. Here's an example:
Let's say that Malphite has 300 armor. If you hit him 6 times, his armor will be reduced by 24% and will drop down to 228 armor. Combine it with your passive Denting Blows and that 228 armor will drop down to 182 armor, which is a 39% armor reduction in total.
"Wait, 39% armor reduction? Isn't it supposed to be 44%"
- Some stats in Wild Rift are multiplicative, not additive. When it comes to %damage reduction or %damage increase, it's multiplicative. Ability haste on the other hand, is additive.
OTHER CORE ITEMS:
- Sterak's Gage will be your second item as it gives you health and +50% base damage. It's passive will help you against burst champs and keep you alive in teamfights.
- Trinity Force is great if you aren't facing tanky or burst heavy teams. It has the same sheen passive but Trinity Force won't heal you. This item also has Phage as its component, making it easier to chase enemies. This item is a great alternative to Divine Sunderer .
- Guardian Angel gives you armor and attack damage which is very useful. This item is also good if you somehow die a lot and make a lot of mistakes.
- Thornmail , Randuin's Omen , Death's Dance or Frozen Heart can be useful against AD Heavy matchups. It's also useful when the enemy ADC is ahead and if you die a lot to AD champs, or when the enemy assassin is fed.
- Spirit Visage and Force of Nature can be used against AP champs like Evelynn or Orianna. These are the only magic resist items I buy considering the fact that Abyssal Mask doesn't benefit Vi at all besides the magic resist and ability haste. Spirit Visage boosts healing and shielding while Force of Nature acts as a statcheck against AP damage.
- Wit's End is another great magic resist item for Vi . It gives attack speed and healing when you're low which Vi needs, and the magic resists is also helpful.
is a must for
whether you're fighting against AD or AP heavy team comps. It increases both your armor and magic resist and it's passive increases your armor, magic resist and tenacity even further.
BOOTS & ENCHANTMENTS:
- Mercury's Treads and Plated Steelcaps are the only good options. Against CC heavy matchups, I use Mercury's Treads instead. Otherwise, I go for Plated Steelcaps .
- Glorious Enchant is great for chasing enemies, but that's about it.
- Gargoyle Enchant should be the best for Vi especially when you're diving. It gives shield based on the amount of enemies nearby.
Best Runes for Vi
This is a standard build for Junglers used in high-elo. Hunter Titan will help you handle CC more and give you extra health for every unique takedown. Pathfinder will help you travel around jungle lanes faster. Triumph will help you execute low HP enemies and allow you to heal after every kill or assist.
This is the Assassin rune set. Try at your own risk since your damage falls off harder and you are much squishier with this.
Learn how to maximize the champions potential
This is your basic Vi skill combo.
This combo is very effective against unsuspecting opponents. Usually, I do this combo against squishy champions like ADCs.
Your usual trading pattern in Jungle. This is also good for clearing minion waves.
Vi Matchups & Counters
Detailed information on how to play matchups and counters
An off-meta pick. Malphite is easy to deal with as he has slow laning phase in jungle, so invade him if you can. He'll probably build full AP or hybrid anyways. Watch out for his Unstoppable Force since it's almost impossible to dodge it.
Another tank. Dr. Mundo is weak against the combination of Black Cleaver and Denting Blows as it shreds through his armor. He's hard to kill in late game because of his regen, so don't let him get fed and replace Black Cleaver with Mortal Reminder if he buys Spirit Visage .
Gragas is another tank you can easily deal with. Just don't let him get ahead and make sure he misses his one-shot combo. He is almost useless with out that.
Amumu is another easy matchup for you. He is a tank, and you are a tank buster. There's no way you'll lose to him unless he's somehow ahead in kills and items. Watch out for Bandage Toss and Curse Of The Sad Mummy combo though.
Another off-meta jungler. Has very slow laning phase in jungle so abuse that by invading him. Don't let him stack as he will one-shot your team while tanking anything you throw at him.
His Aegis Assault will block any damage you throw at him in a certain direction, so bait it out. His stun is a nuisance though. Since he has no escapes other than his Grand Starfall or Flash, it will be easy for you to chase him down.
Tryndamere's laning phase in jungle is slow, however his Undying Rage will allow him to survive your kill attempts later in the game. Not only that, he has a dash meaning he can close the gap between you or escape from you. Bait his ult out if he tries to engage you and save your Flash to catch up to him.
Bait her passive Adaptive Defenses and avoid her Hookshot and you're good to go. Don't let her reach her item power spike ( Trinity Force , Black Cleaver , or Sterak's Gage ). She also has a slow laning phase while jungling so abuse that and steal her camps if you can. She'll also try to kite you with basic attacks and use her The Hextech Ultimatum so be aware of that.
An AP assassin. She can be hard to deal with because of her Demon Shade which makes her hard to catch. She's very squishy and her only method of escape is Flash and Last Caress so rush her down and kill her. If she's ahead, build magic resist items and switch to sweeping lens.
Ah yes, Jax . The auto-attack champion that counters most auto-attack champions in the game with his Counter Strike . Wait for his Counter Strike to end, and finish him off as fast as he can before he leaps out of danger with his Leap Strike . His Grandmaster's Might is useless when your Denting Blows and Black Cleaver shred through his armor.
ADC junglers in general are hard to deal with since they'll kite you and you can't even touch them unless they make a mistake or have poor positioning. Do not engage Graves in a 1v1 fight unless you have your Assault And Battery available or when you're ahead of him in items.
Lee Sin has great wave clear and has incredible diving potential. He'll try to bait your Assault And Battery with his Safeguard since your ultimate cannot be canceled or interrupted. Even in a 1v1 fight, his Safeguard is hard to deal with because of the shield and the heal.
This champ is still OP even after the nerfs. His ult Ragnarok breaks your CC chain and his Vicious Strikes helps him sustain while fighting. Ask for your team to invade his camps and don't let him reach his power spike.
Another off-meta pick, instead this time, this demon destroys you. If you try to auto-attack him, he'll just blind you. The blind on his Blinding Dart also works on jungle monsters so he won't be taking a lot of damage either while having poison on his basic attacks which allows him to farm easier. His mushrooms are also annoying and he'll place it somewhere you wouldn't expect. Use sweeping lens and kill him first as he is very squishy.
Even though you're a tank buster, Rammus's Defensive Ball Curl and Frenzying Taunt is very painful. Even Black Cleaver and Denting Blows isn't enough to stop this hypermobile tank. Champions that counter auto-attack champions is simply a hard match for you. Rush level 5 quickly and look for a counter gank. You don't want Rammus counter-ganking you.
May the best Vi win.
Whoever engages first will win the fight. He'll try to use Audacious Charge to slow you down and gain attack speed while his Three Talon Strike is active. Interrupt his Audacious Charge with Vault Breaker then proc your Denting Blows and lock him down with Assault And Battery .
She's also a tank buster just like you, except this time, it's about stealing her drakes. Make sure she doesn't get the Infernal Dragon or the Ocean Dragon since those increase his damage and health in Drake Form.
He'll try and bait your combo with his Warrior Trickster . Wait it out, and find him so that you can lock him down.
Has great wave clear, huge damage in late game and has a point and click dash and her ultimate has great CC. Whoever hits their skill shots first, wins.
Pros and Cons
1. Very good pick potential
2. Great CC
3. Good objective control (taking down turrets, etc.)
4. Very consistent
5. Good in high elo
1. Relies on her Vault Breaker to engage and escape
2. The CC on her Assault And Battery is only single target
3. Can easily be baited because of her ult
4. Less effective in late game (unless it's lethality build which makes her squishy)
5. Once she falls behind early, it's hard to make a come back
- Galio . This guy is just broken at the moment. Nothing more to say. His Hero's Entrance is amazing in teamfights, especially when you're caught. His Justice Punch and Shield Of Durand combo is useful especially when you want to go for a pick and the on-hit damage from his Winds Of War is so good.
- Orianna . Even after the nerfs, she is still very strong. Her Command: Shockwave is just as useful as Galio 's ult in teamfights. Orianna can also shield you meaning if your Blast Shield is on cooldown, she can use it to you AND also use you as a guide to her ult.
- Twisted Fate . His ult Destiny combined with Pick A Card is very useful for ganking and revealing hidden enemies.
- Yasuo . Your Vault Breaker and Assault And Battery knock up enemies, which is useful for Yasuo to steal--I mean, use his Last Breath to keep the enemies knocked up and secure the kill.
- This is the clear I mostly use and it always works for most junglers I play, especially Vi . It's the most consistent and safest clear to get the scuttle crab while having both buffs at the same time! Basically it goes like this: Red Brambleback ----------> Raptrors ----------> Blue Sentinel ----------> Scuttle Crab. Keep in mind that Scuttle Crab spawns at exactly 1:25 of the game.
- Full Clear is very good for Vi as it gets her to lvl 5 very quickly. The downside however, is that you don't have as much influence if you go full clear compared to the scuttle clear. You are also prone into being invaded and/or getting killed. You also won't be able to take the scuttle crab meaning there's less vision for your team. I would only recommend this pathing if you want to win against Olaf or Graves , two of your hardest matchups.
Challenging Smite (Red Smite) or Chilling Smite (Blue Smite)?
- If you're more of a ganking jungler, then Chilling Smite is better for you. If you like to duel other junglers, it's best to go for Challenging Smite.