[2.1] Challenger Darius Guide | Patch 2.1a
Challenger Darius Guide | Patch 2.1a
Best Build Guide for Darius
Item Build Description
Additional information on the items
- Long Sword is a must buy as a starting item.
- Sheen is an amazing starting item if you just want more damage, get this if you are able to catch the enemy with just boots and just want a damage boost.
- Phage get Phage instead of Sheen if you feel like you need movement speed to catch the enemy. Phage is great against harder matchups as the movement speed helps you get away or maybe even catch them, it also grants you bonus hp.
- Glorious Enchant is also viable on Darius. You might think it is weird to start with a Glorious Enchant but this item combined with Long Sword is AMAZING against matchups that require a lot of movement speed to catch. I personally start with Glorious Enchant when I am against Gragas and Camille for example because it allows me to catch them quite easily. You have to have a certain playstyle with Glorious Enchant however, wait in bushes and catch the enemy and when they try to escape Flash + Glorious Enchant turns you into superman and allows you to catch the enemy.
- Trinity Force is gonna be your first item in 95% of the games. This item provides you with a lot of stats which are all great for Darius . After getting this item you will have a huge power spike as you will deal massive damage after using an ability and you will have a lot of attack speed.
- Glorious Enchant is often going to be the Tier 3 boots that you buy. Always get this one unless you really need [stasis enchant] against champions like Zed or Fizz for example. Teleport Enchant is also viable in case you want to split push but as I said Glorious Enchant really fits Darius playstyle and you should almost always build these boots.
- Sterak's Gage is always a great second item on Darius as it provides you with a shield when you go below 35% hp. This fits Darius kit perfectly as he wants to stay alive for as long as possible to get up his [darius:passive] stacks.
- Guardian Angel is an amazing item for Darius . This item is great as the stats are amazing (+45 Attack damage and +40 armor) and it provides you with a passive that is incredibly powerful in the late game. Always get Guardian Angel as your third or fourth item. You either go for Sterak's Gage as your second item or Guardian Angel it really is about personal preference. Give both a try as your second item and see what works best for you!
- Spirit Visage is great against a lot of Ability power as it provides you with Magic resistance. On top of that, it increases all healing you receive by 30% so if you have healing champions like Janna or Sona for example in your team then this item is amazing. It also increases the healing you receive when you hit Decimate
- Randuin's Omen is an amazing late-game item against enemies with a lot of critical damage. Get this item if the enemy ADC is hard carrying the game with critical damage as it will allow you to tank way more damage and buy you and your team a lot of time.
- Death's Dance is an amazing item to get (can even be bought as your second item) if you want to play VERY aggressively. This item is meant for sustainability as it converts 30% of the incoming damage into bleed that deals damage to you over time. On top of that, it gives you bonus health, attack damage and 10% lifesteal. The point of building this item on Darius is to keep fighting and keep sustaining the fight with the lifesteal and the passive Death's Dance provides. Get this into matchups that want to be in your face like Malphite or Dr. Mundo for example. This item is bad against matchups that are mobile like Camille .
- Black Cleaver is a VERY situational item. When you are against an enemy comp with a lot of tanks like Olaf , Alistar , Dr. Mundo for example Black Cleaver will do wonders as it will increase your damage against tanks with armor. It is rarely worth buying Black Cleaver first over Trinity Force , only do it if you see a lot of tanks that are likely gonna build armor in the enemy team.
- Adaptive Helm is a great defense item against champions that deal subsequent damage with the same ability over and over again. An example would be Kennen Ultimate ability which deals 6 chunks of damage over 3 seconds, Adaptive Helm will help you tank this damage. So get this item if an enemy is destroying you with subsequent damage from abilities. To really make you understand when Adaptive Helm is a good item I will give you another example. Aurelion Sol deals subsequent damage if the stars hit you. If the Aurelion Sol is giving you a hard time you can buy Adaptive Helm to reduce subsequent damage taken from the stars that go around Aurelion Sol .
- Boots of Swiftness are very useful against matchups that have slows or matchups that are hard to catch up to. I only go for Boots of Swiftness if I need the bonus movement speed throughout the whole game. It is great for snowballing as you can keep chasing the enemy down. Mercury's Treads are always going to be a better choice except for a snowballing scenario.
- Mercury's Treads are the boots I often choose to go for. Mercury's Treads contribute towards mobility too as it grants you tenacity. Get these boots if the enemies have a lot of CC (crowd control) as it will allow you to chase and escape more effectively.
- [ninja tabi] are AMAZING if the enemy has a lack of magic damage or if the enemy just has a lot of attack damage. Get [ninja tabi] if you know that you will be taking attack damage mostly throughout the game. [ninja tabi] gives you armor and it decreases incoming damage from basic attacks by 15%. This is obviously HUGE if they deal attack damage mostly.
Best Runes for Darius
Conquerer: Conquerer is amazing as it allows you to stack up damage during a fight (like your passive) and deal more damage. This is especially good on Darius because you can combo your abilities to get the stacks very fast! You'll want to use this rune unless you have a hard match-up in your lane and feel like you really need Fleet footwork to survive.
Triumph: Triumph is amazing when you play Darius aggressively, it really rewards diving in and getting a kill in the backline. Triumph will heal you when you kill an enemy and if you have full Noxian might stacks then every millisecond that you get extra will count massively in a team fight.
Hunter titan: This rune pairs perfectly with the aggressive playstyle that this rune page contributes to. As it says, whenever you kill an enemy you get bonus HP and bonus tenacity. Hunter titan is especially good if the enemy has a lot of CC (crowd control) because it grants you tenacity.
Pack hunter: Take pack hunter if you feel like you don't need the bonus healing you get from sweeth tooth. This rune will grant you 2% bonus movement speed while near allied champions which might not seem like a lot but it can truly make the difference in a fight. You might be able to barely hit the enemy with Apprehend and get a free kill because of Pack hunter.
Fleet footwork: Only take this rune if you have a tough match-up in your lane. You can use Fleet footwork to heal up but you can also use it aggressively. You can for example proc the Fleet footwork on a minion in your lane and use the bonus movement speed you get to hook in your enemy with Apprehend .
Brutal: So this rune page is for games where you have a really hard matchup. Brutal will help you trade with the enemy as it provides you with 7AD and 2% armor penetration throughout the whole game.
Regeneration: Use this rune if you need the hp regeneration in the lane. If you are against an annoying champion like Gragas or Wukong that Darius struggles against then Regeneration will be your best friend.
Spirit walker: You can also use Spirit walker as the 3rd rune, use this rune if you are against a comp that has a lot of slows. Spirit walker is only good against slows and not any other forms of cc. So spirit walker is great against Olaf or Janna for example.
Sweet tooth: You'll want to use sweet tooth if you have a hard matchup as it provides you with bonus healing and bonus gold when you take the honey fruit.
How to distribute skill points
When to take which summoners
Darius Matchups & Counters
Detailed information on how to play matchups and counters
When laning against a Tryndamere pay attention to his fury bar. If it is really high he will deal more damage as he has an increased chance of dealing critical damage to you. You usually win 1v1s vs Tryndamere unless he has full stacks of his passive and engages on you.
The way that you can easily kill Tryndamere even though he uses his ultimate is to stack up 5 stacks of your Hemorrhage and ignite him when his ultimate finishes. The combined damage of these two will kill him.
Mundo is a champion that you can snowball against as you just severely out damage him . the way to make sure you win a 1v1 is to ignite him during his ultimate and if you want to REALLY make sure he doesn't heal up you can also get an early Executioner's Calling
Don't get poked too hard by [mundo:1] by the way, stay behind minions and don't take unnecessary damage.
Singed wants you to chase him without hitting him. The way that you can counter this is by getting Ghost, Boots of Swiftness AND Glorious Enchant . Singed can be a pain in the ass to catch but with these boosts to your movement speed and a little magic resist you should be able to catch up to him and destroy him.
Darius hard counters Garen . Your passive won't allow him to heal as you deal bleed damage over time. All you gotta do against Garen is to not allow him to poke you out with his Decisive Strike because this can be an annoying ability to deal with. Just ALL-IN a Garen by hooking him in with Apprehend and slowing him with Crippling Strike . A great tip against Garen is to ALL-IN him after he uses Decisive Strike because he can otherwise use it to run away and neglect your slow.
All in all, engage in longer fights and don't get poked out, ez lane.
Nasus is a very easy laning matchup to have. He is incredibly weak early game and whenever you can just hook him in with Apprehend and destroy him. The way that you need to play against Nasus is to freeze the lane and make him overextend. Only last-hit minions, don't push the wave unless you killed him, then you can push the wave under his turret so he loses farm.
When Nasus gets his ultimate you should try to bait it out, do this by pretending you are fully engaging and when he uses his ultimate, disengage (unless you can still kill him).
A good Olaf can be annoying as he can poke you with his axe and ALL-IN you with Ragnarok . You should often run away when Olaf uses his ultimate unless you already have a few stacks of Noxian might on him, then you can also choose to try and get 5 stacks and destroy him with your ultimate.
Gragas is a very annoying matchup but the reason I didn't put him as a hard matchup is because you can itemize very effectively against him. Buy Mercury's Treads to reduce the CC from Gragas and reduce the magic damage you'll take. Get an early Glorious Enchant against Gragas to be able to catch him.
The way that you can catch him out with Glorious Enchant is to wait in a bush or a spot where he can't see you and then you gank him. Use Apprehend to hook Gragas in and immediately slow him with Crippling Strike . He will likely try to use his ultimate to get you away so try to be unpredictable with your movement so he can't just easily shoot you back with his ultimate.
Don't get poked too hard, you can do this by baiting Barrel Roll . pretend as if you are going somewhere and then back off immediately when he throws a barrel.
Trade in the early game with Jax you will be able to out damage him. Try to bait out Counter Strike and after he used it you can start trading with him again. When you manage to get 5 stacks of Noxian Might on Jax all in him, your ultimate deals damage through Counter Strike so you can decimate him with your ultimate when you have 5 stacks of Noxian Might. Don't be afraid to proc your flash to secure the kill when you have 5 stacks of Noxian might.
Note that Jax is an incredibly strong duelist in the late-game so be careful in 1v1s in the late-game with Jax . Don't feel too confident by just going in like an idiot. If the Jax is good he will likely win an isolated 1v1 with Darius in the late-game.
When laning against a Malphite you should take into consideration that he will buy a lot of armor against you. Black Cleaver is a great item against Malphite . Only build Black Cleaver first if the enemy has more tanks besides Malphite however.
Akali is a hard matchup in lane for Darius. You have to be very careful because Akali will poke you with Five Point Strike . the way that you need to play against Akali is to not get poked out hard in lane. It will likely cost you some minions but it is what it is. You can trade with Akali with Decimate , if you time it well you can actually out poke Akali with Decimate .
You can catch out Akali if she gets a tad bit too close with Apprehend but she will just go invisible with Twilight Shroud . What I recommend you to do is to hook Akali right before your jungler ganks your lane. This is to bait out Twilight Shroud so you will be able to secure the kill with your junglers abilities.
When you are laning against Vayne go cry in a corner. I am serious cry under your turret and just take last-hits on minions. The way you can win lane is by baiting Vayne to overextend and then gank her with your junger. You won't be able to win trades against the Vayne . Even if you catch Vayne out of position with Apprehend she can just shoot you back with Condemn so don't look for trades unless she wasted Condemn .
A thing to note against Vayne is to try and avoid walls as she can stun you into a wall wth Condemn . If that happens you are probably either going to die or you have to trigger your flash to escape. Communicate with your jungler and time ganks well against Vayne and don't let her farm till the late-game. If you gank Vayne once or twice you might be able to fight her as you will be ahead.
Fiora is incredibly strong early game, almost no champions counter her in a laning matchup. You have to play the baiting game with Fiora . engage in a fight when your junger is ganking. Don't make it too obvious though, just take some trades and if she falls for it then go in and destroy her in a 2v1 with your jungler.
When you play against Kennen in lane make sure you don't get stunned by Kennen . Do this by playing safe. Use your hook when Lightning Rush is on cooldown. You will destroy him if he can't escape with Lightning Rush . Just play safe and don't die, he can also engage on your with Flash or Lightning Rush and use his ultimate when the enemy jungler is ganking you. To avoid dying in a situation like this get Mercury's Treads in the early game as it reduces the stun duration and provides you with some magic resistance.
Camille is a pure skill matchup. Camille will outdamage you in short trades with Precision Protocol . So avoid trading with Camille when she is able to just hit you with Precision Protocol and escape with Hookshot .
A thing to note is that Camille can dodge Noxian Guillotine with The Hextech Ultimatum so don't make your ultimate too obvious because if she dodges your ultimate with her ultimate you will likely lose the fight. Bait out Camille ultimate by not always immediately using your ultimate immediately when you have it up.
Teemo is a pure skill matchup for Darius . When he goes for Blinding Dart hook him in because the range of the two abilities is the same. Keep hitting Teemo even though he blinds you because you will still stack up Noxian Might.
Tips and Tricks on Darius
Find my channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/HellsDevilwildrift