[2.1a] Alistar Guide - HOW TO PLAY ALISTAR LIKE THE PROS
Best Build Guide for Alistar
Item Build Description
Additional information on the items
[Locket Enchant] is what you rush, for constant movement around the map and providing a nice shield to your team during skirmishes increasing your teams effective health.
Dead Man's Plate is a really nice item for moving around and putting pressure on the map, provides your first defensive stats as well. The ᴄʀᴜꜱʜɪɴɢ ʙʟᴏᴡ passive also provides a nice slow to set up allies if you want to hold [Alistar:1] & Headbutt for a bigger group / HPT.
Zeke's Convergence is your first true support item, this item's passive ʜᴀʀʙɪɴɢᴇʀ is absolutely insane and crucial for keeping immobile enemies out of position or the enemies front line from your carries. If you find yourself in a situation where you are able to activate the ꜰʀᴏꜱᴛꜰɪʀᴇ ᴄᴏᴠᴇɴᴀɴᴛ passive the slow is doubled and this makes infinitely easier to hit your Trample when needed.
Protector's Vow gives you nice stats and helps keep your front line healthy when you engage together.
Randuin's Omen makes the enemy AD carries slightly weaker to you, nothing special about this item just another live longer item. If you're versus 3 or more AP carries and have a carry on your team you switch this with Abyssal Mask , otherwise switch it with Adaptive Helm .
Warmog's Armor is just an item with nice stats, nothing special.
[Sunfire Cape] & Spirit Visage is not worth the value to you as a support, never build.
Gargoyle Enchant is just "OK" as a standalone item, I personally think its quite slept on, but if you're being focused your team should be able to win a team fight anyway, your job isn't to survive its to get the opponents carries killed before they kill your carries.
Redeeming Enchant is too slow for the heal it provides, the shield from [Locket Enchant] is instant and much better in its raw stats (extra ~25% extra health).
Best Runes for Alistar
Weakness: The math works out that you end up giving an extra 1-200 damage per champ you immobilize for every fight, this also works with your items.
Loyalty: Gives your lane partner free stats, nothing else in this tree helps supports except Backbone or Conditioning, but our job is to keep our carry alive.
Pack Hunter: Nothing in this tree is useful, the next best thing to take is Pathfinder. -
Pack Hunter: - Pathfinder is not worth it since you already have Boots and Dead Man's Plate as your first 2 items.
How to distribute skill points
When to take which summoners
Alistar Matchups & Counters
Detailed information on how to play matchups and counters
If Rocket Grab hits your carry, dive into their carry to let your carry peel back.
Essentially Rocket Grab is a free uber ride to the enemy carry, to which you can Headbutt back to your team.
You can cancel Bullet Time with any ability so its all the much easier to make her useless in a teamfight.
Keep in mind Whisper works based off your missing health. Meaning using your ultimate when you're low can help you tank an expected 4th shot death.
Winning this lane requires you to use Unbreakable Will when she uses Encore and to punish her when she tries to poke you with High Note & Beat Drop .
All in her whenever she oversteps, and save Unbreakable Will for Crescendo .
When going all in on Soraka watch out for Equinox since it will not let you Pulverize once you reach her with Headbutt if she uses Equinox under herself, which would lead to you pushing her to safety.
When going all in on the carry the easiest way to execute this is to combo your Flash & Pulverize on the carry with a quick Headbutt to the Soraka so she isn't immediately nearby. This will always force Equinox under you (and Wish ) so preemptively use Trample so you can stun the carry in place.
Be sure to abuse her short range with a Flash + Pulverize combo. Also keep in mind late game she can destroy your health bar with Silver Bolts
Nami also out sustains you so your best bet to winning this lane is to all in with Ignite when you get the chance.
Only way to win this is to get Arcane Shift & Flash down which is insanely hard, going all in for the support can be the right play here.
She will use Monsoon and Howling Gale to stop Headbutt so try to get her to waste these before going all in.
Her mobility with [Kaisa:3] & [Kaisa:4] is insanely high, letting her get out of almost any really bad situation.
Her burst from [Kaisa:2] and [Kaisa:Passive] spikes with her first 2 item purchases, so keep tabs on when she completes items.
Save Unbreakable Will for it and try to create smaller trades that work in your favor so you can utilize Triumphant Roar before you all in.
Be sure to save Unbreakable Will for Chain Of Corruption if possible and keep an eye on the huge burst damage that can come out of Piercing Arrow & max stacks + the active of Blighted Quiver
VERIFICATION OF THE BUILD
In case you've come into this guide thinking "this guy is just talking random crap, why would you want boots before an item with actual stats, or something similar"
Here are 4 people from the top 10 Alistar's of SEA doing the same build with minor variations. The reason I went with the build above is because it should have the highest % of success across the most amount of matches compared to the other variants.
HOW TO PLAY:
Laning Phase: Between levels 1-5 you'll want to stick by your carry, looking for opportunities to engage and catch your opponents out of position. When your jungler comes for scuttle crab or a gank be sure to assist them by hovering between the jungler and your carry to respond to whichever one breaks into a fight. Be sure to use your pings so your carry and jungler know what your intentions are.
Teamfights: Depending on your team composition you will have 1 of 2 jobs:
1: Engage and start / force team fights when an enemy carry steps out of position and your team can follow up.
2: PEEL your carries and keep them alive for as long as possible, so they can dish out the most damage.
- Rush: Build / do ASAP, no matter the circumstances.
- Skirmish: Smaller fight, think of it as a team fight but no one commits all resources to it.
- Pressure: To create pressure is to do something that forces your opponents to react.
- HPT: High Priority Target, usually the opponents carry.
- Immobile: A character with no gap-closers.
- Gap-closers: Abilities like Arcane Shift , Shuriken Flip , [Kaisa:ult]. Abilties that can close the gap by dashing / increasing movement speed.
- Engage: The act of starting a fight, usually with an ability that provides CC.
- CC: Crowd Control, Abilities that displace an enemy or stop them using abilities. Deadly Flourish , Apprehend , Decisive Strike , Unstoppable Force .
- AD Carry: An enemy that builds Attack Damage.
- AP Carry: An enemy that builds Ability Power.
- Combo: Your champions expected combo. Headbutt > Pulverize / Silver Bolts > (AA) > Tumble > (AA).
- Cancel: To cancel a champions ability means to stop it as it is channeling. For example Bullet Time and Curtain Call is a channeled ability and can be stopped by using CC during her cast, or by using CC during Headbutt will stop him from travelling the full distance. Keep in mind not all channels can be cancelled, for example Arcane Shift .
- Effective Health: Effective health is the durability of a champion, taking into account their health as well as their armor, magic resist, any regeneration they could have as well as any shields.
- X-Factor Play: A play that turns a losing fight into a winning fight.