[4.0a] FIGHT FOR THE FIRST LANDS!!! - Irelia Guide
FIGHT FOR THE FIRST LANDS!!! - Irelia Guide
- Has great snowball potential
- Wins in most matchups
- Really good mid game power and map presence
- High mobility, good against immobile champs
- Can kill squishies easily
- Falls behind late game
- Weak against lane bullies like Darius and Renekton
- Extremely item dependent
- Difficult to play and requires a lot of practice
- Prone to CC
Best Build Guide for Irelia
Item Build Description
Additional information on the items
In order to build
properly, you must build her with physical damage items and tank items. Remember that you are a Baron laner, and the baron lane is mostly composed of tanks, bruisers and (sometimes) ADC. I'll remind you NOT to build full damage on
, whether it be full AD or AP because you are going to be squishy.
- Long Sword or Dagger will be your first item. This will allow you to deal more damage in the laning phase. This item will also be useful for building your core items like Trinity Force and Blade of the Ruined King .
- Phage . This item is the component of Trinity Force . Gives health and AD. Attacks and kills give you movement speed.
- Stinger . Gives attack speed and ability haste.
- Vampiric Scepter . Gives AD and lifesteal. This is one of the components of Blade of the Ruined King .
- Sheen . This item gives ability haste. It's passive allows you to deal extra physical damage after using an ability. This is another component of Trinity Force .
- Blade of the Ruined King . One of the best items for Irelia . Gives AD, attack speed and physical vamp. It's passive allows your basic attacks to deal a percentage of the target's HP. This great as Irelia relies heavily on basic attacks.
- Trinity Force . Gives HP, AD, attack speed and ability haste. Allows you to deal bonus damage after using a skill. Since you're going to AA a lot, this is another great item.
- Sterak's Gage . Gives HP and +50% base AD. Lifeline is the most important part of this item because Irelia is very squishy.
- Guardian Angel . Gives armor and AD. You would want this just incase you die or misposition. The armor and AD is great too.
- Frozen Heart and Randuin's Omen . These items are useful if the ADC is ahead and if you want to reduce their attack speed and damage overall.
- Thornmail . Gives HP and armor. It's passive allows you to damage anyone who attacks you and inflicts grievous wounds on them.
- Spirit Visage . Gives HP, MR, health regen and ability haste. You'd want this to increase the healing from your first skill. You'd also want this if your team has a healer like Soraka or Sona
- Force of Nature . Gives HP, MR and bonus movement speed. You gain bonus MR for every magic damage you take. Only buy this if they have an AP carry like Katarina .
- Youmuu's Ghostblade . Grants AD, flat armor penetration and ability haste. It grants you momentum and upon reaching 100 stacks, gives you bonus movement speed. It's useful for maneuvering in the jungle.
- Umbral Glaive . Grants the same stats as Youmuu's Ghostblade . It's passive allows you to see wards and traps and destroy them. Only buy this if you are playing Jungle and if you are facing against Teemo or Jhin . Otherwise, consider other item options.
- Maw of Malmortius . Grants AD, MR and ability haste. It also has the lifetime passive. However, this only works against magic damage. Only use this if you are playing Irelia in Mid.
- Black Cleaver . Gives HP, AD and ability haste. It's passive allows you to shred a percentage of an enemy's armor. This is useful against tanks like Garen and Malphite . It's basically an anti-tank item.
- Death's Dance . Gives HP, AD, physical vamp and ability haste. 30% of damage taken is converted into bleed for 3 seconds. This is a good anti-burst item especially against assassins.
- Dead Man's Plate . Gives HP and armor. It has the same passive as Youmuu's Ghostblade . Upon reaching 100 stacks, you gain bonus movement speed.
(NOT RECOMMENDED) AP IRELIA MID BUILD:
- Nashor's Tooth . Gives AP, attack speed and ability haste. This item allows you to deal extra magic damage based on your AP.
- Lich Bane . GIves AP and ability haste. This item is the AP equivalent of Trinity Force . After using an ability, your auto-attacks will deal extra magic damage based on your base AD and AP.
- Void Staff . Gives AP and +40% magic penetration. Use this against tanks and bruisers with a lot of magic resists.
- Hextech Gunblade . Gives AD and AP and physical and magic vamp. Hitting an enemy champion shocks them for magic damage and slows them down for 2 seconds. This is great for bursting down your opponents.
- Luden's Echo . Gives AP, ability haste and mana. Moving and casting stacks Discord. Upon reaching 100 stacks, you gain extra AP and deals +10% magic damage to nearby enemies.
BOOTS AND ENCHANTMENTS:
- Plated Steelcaps is the best choice for Irelia as it increases your durability against physical damage. Grants armor.
- Mercury's Treads is also a good choice for AP and CC-heavy matchups. Grants MR.
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity is a good choice to reduce your skill cooldowns. However, you should only consider buying this if you are on a easy/fair matchup.
- [stasis enchant] is by far the best enchant you can buy for Irelia . This item will prevent you from dying from assassins just in-case they're ahead.
- Quicksilver Enchant is also a good choice in CC-heavy matchups where [stasis enchant] is pointless.
- Teleport Enchant is good too since you are a Baron laner. You are going to be using this if you need to get to the frontlines quickly, or if you are splitpushing.
Best Runes for Irelia
This is the standard rune set for Irelia in the Baron lane, assuming the team composition has low amounts of CC. Conqueror would be your best option as it allows you to deal more damage overtime and is very good in skirmishes/teamfights. Triumph will heal you after every champion take down and Hunter Titan will help you mitigate CC. Sweet Tooth is good as Irelia has bad mana consumption.
This rune set is good if you are against CC-heavy matchups. Brutal will help your laning phase in Baron lane or Jungle lane. Hunter Titan will help you mitigate CC from lane bullies like Renekton and Shen .
Only use this rune set if you are playing Irelia in the Mid lane. Gathering Storm (after its buff) is good so that your damage will scale in late game. Bone Plating allows you to mitigate some of the burst damage you receive from assassins and mages and Hunter Genius grants you ability haste after every champion takedown.
How to distribute skill points
Learn how to maximize the champions potential
This is your basic trading pattern in Baron lane with Irelia. You double-cast Flawless Duet towards the enemy, charge at them with Bladesurge , auto-attack and use Defiant Dance just in-case they have CC or burst damage then escape by casting Bladesurge to the nearest minion.
This is Irelia's INSTAKILL combo. Double-cast Flawless Duet towards the enemy, use Vanguard's Edge and dash towards them with Bladesurge and auto-attack. If the target is still alive, use Defiant Dance .
This is the complicated version of Irelia's INSTAKILL combo because it is hard to pull off and requires perfect timing and execution. Start by casting Flawless Duet . Use Vanguard's Edge , then Flash at the end of the channel to redirect the hitbox. Use Bladesurge then follow it up with your second Flawless Duet . Follow it up with AA, Bladesurge , AA, Bladesurge and then Defiant Dance .
Irelia Matchups & Counters
Detailed information on how to play matchups and counters
Has high mobility for sure, but he has lower range than most ADCs. His Smoke Screen can be annoying though. You can burst him down at level 5.
Easy matchup as long as you don't let him farm stacks for too long. Start with Bladesurge and stack your passive and you're good to go. He is also easy to gank, so cooperate with your jungler and freeze the wave.
Easy matchup as long as you don't let her get the dragons, or if she's not building AP.
Very easy lane since he has no type of resists or CC. Feel free to start with Q as you stack your passive. As long as you don't get camped, it's an easy matchup for you.
Easy matchup as long as you prevent him from getting level 5 first. Use Flawless Duet if he charges at you. At level 5, force him to use his ult by rushing him down and escaping with Bladesurge .
Easy matchup. He can be annoying though. Start with Bladesurge and last hit minions for stacks. If you can hit level 2 first, you can make him waste his Flash with Flawless Duet and Bladesurge . After level 5, recall and switch to sweeping lens.
Easy to deal with since all he really has early game is the poke damage from his Barrel Roll . If he tries to engage you, you can just use Flawless Duet . His combo can easily be dealt with by using your Defiant Dance .
Easy matchup as long as he isn't hiding on the bushes. His early game damage is very high too so stack your passive before going all in. Make sure to ward the bushes as well.
Also an easy matchup. Just like Gragas , he can only poke you at best. The difference is that he is harder to play with because he is a ranged champ. If he ults, use Defiant Dance .
Easy matchup because of low kill pressure until he gets Bramble Vest . He'll try to poke you in lane, so you must last hit minions with Bladesurge to heal up and stack your passive. If he gets Bramble Vest , avoid all inning on him unless you're ahead.
Can be pretty annoying to play against because he can block your Flawless Duet and Vanguard's Edge with Wind Wall . Stack your passive and get him with your Flawless Duet . Be careful though because he has more mobility than you (He doesn't need to kill the minions to dash through them).
Akali is very annoying, especially with Assassin's Mark and her Five Point Strike because of her poking damage. In this matchup, you must start with Flawless Duet and play passively as she aggressively pushes the wave into you. Once you get Blade of the Ruined King , it should be easy to deal with her.
He beats you in level 1 unless you have minions set up your passive. Start with Flawless Duet . Once your level 3, don't be afraid if he uses Counter Strike since you can just stun him and escape with Bladesurge . At level 5, it becomes easier but be aware that Grandmaster's Might 's passive allows him to deal extra damage for every 3rd auto attack.
He is pretty much a worse Darius so you can deal with him better. However, it can be nightmare to play with him if he gets ahead. Start with Flawless Duet to avoid his Decisive Strike . Once you're level 2, stack your passive but maintain your distance. You don't need for him to push the wave into you since he relies on basic attacks.
Avoid fighting her at level 1 but don't be afraid to use the minions to your advantage if she plays super agressive. Rush Executioner's Calling and Blade of the Ruined King and let her push the wave into you. Once you're level 5, this should be easy as long as you dodge her Riposte .
This guy is painful to lane against. He'll poke you at level with Comet Spear and make your life miserable even under tower. Focus on getting into level 5 quickly. Bait his Shield Vault into the tower if he tries to combo you. Once you're level 5, you can focus him down as long as you are above 90% HP. Rush Plated Steelcaps and Blade of the Ruined King .
Also a lane bully like Darius , but weaker. His heal isn't as problematic compared to the PC version, however his damage is still high. Avoid fighting in level 1 and start with Flawless Duet . If he tries to rush you down, use Defiant Dance . Make sure you also have Bone plating as a rune. This matchup is also a race on who gets Blade of the Ruined King first, so if you win, there's no way for him to get back at you.
Funnily enough, Singed actually counters you. His Poison Trail is a poison trail that makes sure that you can't attack or chase him without taking damage. His Mega Adhesive prevents you from dashing away and Fling knocks you up. Start with Bladesurge and stack your passive. Use your Flawless Duet to poke him until he's low.
Vayne players will always start with Silver Bolts so play passively or she'll poke you to death. Until level 5, you have to play carefully. Also switch to sweeping lens at level 5 as she gains invisibility when she casts Tumble while under the effects of Final Hour .
Even after the nerfs, Darius is still a threat to you as he is a lane bully. Start with Flawless Duet and avoid fighting him early on. Make sure you have Bone plating as a rune as well.
Lane bully, period. Olaf is still OP even after the nerfs. If you try to stun him, he'll activate Ragnarok . If you decide to trade with him, he'll out-sustain and out-damage you. Pre-level 5, start with Flawless Duet and stack your passive. Rush Executioner's Calling and Blade of the Ruined King if he's ahead. Once you're both level 5, try to bait him into activating his ult, and then proceed to combo him down.
Camille can be difficult to play with as she can poke you at level 1 with Precision Protocol so start with Flawless Duet so you can disengage if she autos you. Wait for her to push the wave on to you so you can gain some stacks. You can dodge her Tactical Sweep and Hookshot with Bladesurge and Defiant Dance .
This matchup depends on how good she is. However, in late game, she out-scales you. Play passively and start with Flawless Duet . At level 5, the laning phase is much easier. Riven players will try to move at the opposite direction every time you use Flawless Duet so drag it enough to cover yourself from her.
May the best Irelia win.
Skill based matchup. Early game, he'll try and poke you with Golden Staff or Nimbus Strike . He'll also waste your skills with his decoy. Make sure you hit your Flawless Duet and stack your passive. If he tries to burst you down, use Defiant Dance . Make sure you have Bone plating as well.
's ease to get into enemy backlines makes her an ideal champion for
to attach her ball into. With this,
can CC a lot of people while
is securing kills for the team.
Lulu . She is one of the best supports to play with as Irelia . She can buff your basic attacks while also making you tanky.
Rakan . He can set up for you as you dive, however, it's going to be hard to pull off even though he's strong with her.
Braum . Same thing for Rakan , but he can set up much easier with his passive.
Kai'sa . She can follow up with your engages during teamfights.
At level 1 you have the option of taking any of your 3 spells depending on the matchup. Bladesurge is best in good matchups where you can play aggressively early on as by waiting for the first few melee minions to drop low and then last-hitting them all with Bladesurge then using Bladesurge on your lane opponent you'll have a fully stacked Ionian Fervor . Flawless Duet is good if you're in a matchup where the opponent might go aggressive early on, since you can then stun them in your minion wave and trade back quickly before backing off as they take minion aggro. Defiant Dance can be optimal against opponents with level 1 CC, such as Jax or Riven , so you can just charge Defiant Dance with damage reduction during the CC duration, but if you're confident I would rather recommend taking Bladesurge and going on the aggression.
At level 2 no matter what you started you'll want to take
, or if you started it at level 1 you'll want to again take either
depending on the matchup. Unless you're losing lane pretty handily you'll usually want to take
though, since it gives you the ability to Mark your lane opponent and cast
twice on them, as well as being stronger in all-ins as it gives you the ability to stun your opponent.
At level 3 you'll take whichever spell you haven't yet taken, since even if your lane opponent doesn't have CC you can still benefit from the damage reduction even if just during one auto-attack, and it gives you more damage than just putting another point in Bladesurge . Your play pattern remains the same from levels 3-5.
After you obtain your ultimate, you'll have a lot more kill potential and can potentially cast Bladesurge onto your enemy 3 times in one fight, making you very sticky and increasing your damage beyond just Vanguard's Edge 's damage. A great way to engage is to either cast Vanguard's Edge onto your target and directly Bladesurge onto them, or if you're out of range and a minion is low enough, Bladesurge onto a nearby minion towards your opponent and then use Vanguard's Edge . It's recommended to have at least built up a decent amount of Ionian Fervor stacks before engaging so you can very quickly get full stacks when you go in for the engage, rather than having to build them up from 0.
When your target is inside Vanguard's Edge , you'll want to save Flawless Duet temporarily rather than using it right away. If your opponent stays inside the blades to avoid getting slowed and taking more damage, you won't need to stun them to DPS them since they'll be waiting for the blades to run out anyway, and then you can stun them afterwards. And if they do walk into the blades, the massive slow will make it much harder for them to potentially dodge the stun. Additionally, should they Flash out of your Vanguard's Edge , you may still be able to reach them with Flawless Duet if you save it, also allowing you to re-close the gap with Bladesurge .
Mid game is usually the point from 10-15 Minutes into the game.
Irelia is quite strong in the mid game and at this point you have some tank items that allow to you last a bit longer than if you were just at your BOTRK.
You still want to let your team initiate fights or wait until the enemy team initiates on your team. This will allow you to clean up and land your abilities easier.
You can still kill squishies relatively quickly and you will be able to impact the fights greatly. Ideally you can end the game during this period as later in the game you become more of a disruptor than anything.
This is the point where
cannot kill squishies as easily and tends to do much less damage in comparison to mid game.
At this stage of the game you should focus on being a front line for your team but not engaging unless your team has 0 engage. It is still better to wait for the enemy team to engage or if you have a Alistar for example wait for her to engage for you so you can land all of your abilities without issue.
A lot of top lane champs outshine you at this stage of the game but you can still do a lot of damage to the enemy team if you land your spells and get to their backline and distract their squishies.