[2.3] Leona Guide - Leona, Tank Guide for v2.3 (Support/Roam Type)
- A lot of Crowd Control, specifically Stuns
- Very Tanky
- Good at Engaging or Initiating a Fight
- Good Harrass (Peeling to be precise)
- Low Ability Cooldown
- No Mobility or Escape
- Needs follow ups after engaging
- Easy to Harrass
- Rely too much on her Ability to be Effective
Best Build Guide for Leona
Item Build Description
Additional information on the items
1. Zeke's Convergence - is an item that possess offensive and defensive buffs not only for yourself but also for your ADR, or your highest DPS on your team. Since, Leona is an engager, using her Ultimate will buff her allied ADR with bonus magic damage on their autos while burning them with your pressence. Suited for her as a tank initiator.
2. Boots of Speed - you need this, bruh...
2a. Boots of Swiftness - buy this if you want to roam and gank mid lane.
2b. Plated Steelcaps - buy this if you feel vulnerable or needed more defense against heavy AD champions.
2c. Mercury's Treads - alternative upgrade against heavy AP champions. Unless you want to lessen the crowd control (e.g. stun, slow, etc.) from yourself if enemies have multiple CCs in their disposal.
3a. Gargoyle Enchant - best and default upgrade for your boots. Activating it will give you extra HP and Damage Reduction against all attacks for a short period which is good for her since she will enter the fight first. To add more to that, it will increase even more of extra HP depending on how many enemy champions around you! It fits perfectly for Leona .
3b. [Locket Enchant] - good alternative if your ADR or your team can easily die before you. With extra Shield, you can support your ADR to the fullest.
3c. Redeeming Enchant - good area damage and heal for your team. You can also combine this with your combo since you will stun lock them until the heal/damage activates.
1. Iceborn Gauntlet - good item with enough armor, mana, ability haste, slow and damage. Easy damage and slow for enemies which increases its radius depending on your armor value.
2. Thornmail - return damage is good for Leona since she will always likely being focus on whenever initiating a fight. Not to mention the Grevious Wound effect which reduces the enemy's healing, regeneration or lifesteal effect on themselves.
3. Abyssal Mask - item that gives magic resist and mana sustain. Magic resist is a must for Leona and so is Mana.
4. Warmog's Armor - gives huge amount of Max HP which you need for survivability. Not to mention on its own regeneration effect when out of combat, best when to stay and roam around the map without recalling.
5. Guardian Angel - with extra life, you can support your team even after you die first in a team fight. Or maybe, you will likely be ignored by the enemy team because they can't kill you fast enough and when you died, dealing with you again is a pain in the ass. Good for burning the enemies' ability and let your team do the work for you.
2. Spirit Visage - now you can decide if you want either Abyssal Mask or Spirit Visage since you need at least one magic resist in your inventory. Either way, this item is great against heavy AP casters. Rush build this if enemy have at least 3 heavy AP champions in their team.
3. Protector's Vow - if you want to be a support for your ADR, build this. It will help your ADR survive from attacks with it's build-in shield. Building this along with [Locket Enchant], you and your ADR will last the fight against your enemies.
4. Force of Nature - if you want to be a roamer then build this. This gives not only magic resist but also more movement speed for you to catch up to the enemies. Good item nonetheless.
5. Winter's Approach > Fimbulwinter - if you are struggling in managing her mana, this item is for you. The downside of this item is not providing any Armor or Magic Resist, only mana even though its an armor, but it gives a shield whenever you stun an enemy. If you build this item first, make sure your next item provides armor and magic resist. Consider that.
(Offensive Leona Build)
1. Sunfire Aegis - burn the sh*t out of your enemy. It also, gives extra Max HP but no armor though.
3. Thornmail - if enemy fights back, it will make an easy damage for them.
4. Spirit Visage - against heavy AP and additional regenaration for yourself to sustain and stay around the map, roaming around.
5. Sterak's Gage - deal more damage from your autos, gives extra shield for survivability and extra Max HP.
6. Warmog's Armor - huge amount of extra Max HP. Also gives you regeneration which goes well with Sipirt Visage.
2a. [Glory Enchant] - apply a slow on enemies upon catching up with them. Also, gives huge movement speed.
2b. Gargoyle Enchant - another extra HP if your huge amount of health is not enough.
2c. [Stasis Enchant] - if you're being peeled quite often then build this. Then change it afterwards.
Note: You will notice that, most of the item only gives you Max HP while few of it gives raw 40 armor and 45 magic resist. The reason behind this is your going to roam around the map and find some enemies to kill. With this build, you are not a support instead you are the next jungler version 2 for your team. Leave your ADR if your confident enough and go around the map and makes some gold for yourself.
(Alternatives Items from Offensive Leona Build)
1. Dead Man's Plate - change Thornmail into this for more movement speed and roaming potential, and extra damage, too.
2. Force of Nature - change Spirit Visage into this for another movement speed boost. Good for chasing and stacking Magic Resist.
3. Guardian Angel - change your Warmog's Armor into this for extra AD for your auto. With extra life, you can chase, gank and kill again.
Best Runes for Leona
(Main Rune for Overall Situation)
Aftershock - is your main rune for defense and offense when engaging. The effect of this rune is like your 2nd Ability which means more defense for you and the damage to the enemies around you afterwards.
Weakness - since she has so many stuns, additional 5% damage is good for more damage even though your a tank.
Adaptive Carapace - is good if your HP is below 50% this gives you additional defenses. Even in low health, you can still fight against them or flee and still can survive the aftermath.
Pack Hunter - she is good at initiating a fight and can pretty much set your ADR or ypur team to your target. With this rune, if you manage to kill the target, you both gain gold. Good for kills and assist in teamfight especially for a support who rely on assists.
(Alternative Rune to Consider)
Bone Plating - if happens your being peeled early, this rune will help you sustain their damage so you can at least survive from their harrass. Also, good for enduring some damage along with your 2nd Ability and Aftershock rune so that you can maintain your health whenever in teamfights.
Loyalty - only use this if you want to be a completely support where you always stick to your ADR throughout the game to maake sure the bonus defenses still applies even you engage.
Manaflow Band - alternative rune if your struggling on managing your mana. Extending your mana pool will give you more ability spamming.
Sweet Tooth - pick this rune if you want more additional 60 gold by either stepping on it or being near while your ADR do the stepping. Since your going to roam around the map, try to pick some fruits along your way. It will keep you healthy and gives you free gold.
How to distribute skill points
When to take which summoners
Learn how to maximize the champions potential
This combo is your main harrass after you engage. It will quickly follow up the stun from your 3rd Ability or Ultimate with this.
Note: Your 1st Ability is an Auto Attack Reset meaning it will instantly Auto Attack Leona before/after using it.
Tip: It can pretty much remove the enemy ward upon placing near you before disappearing with this combo. Practice this so you will have no problem auto attack reset, it also works on other champions who have these effect, too (e.g. Camile's 1st Ability or Fiora's 3rd Ability for example).
This combo is your main engage whenever you are initiating a fight or ganking. It will stun lock your target to its position especially using your ultimate. Do not forget to apply Ignite to your taget, too.
Tip: If you know or already lock your 3rd Ability on the enemy, quickly press your 2nd Ability so you already on cast your defenses when going towards to you target and explode very early afterwards.
If you happens to hit your ultimate and stun the target, you can pretty much all in and do the main combo.
Tip: You can add Gargoyle Enchant anywhere in your combo since your the first one coming to them and attacked. With a resistance of a steel, you can burn their abilities or maybe wasting their ultimate to you and when gour teammate follows up, they don't have any abilities to fight against. Or Redeeming Enchnat will work, too...
Leona Matchups & Counters
Detailed information on how to play matchups and counters
She excel at healing and killing herself so either focus on her to cancel her healing skills or harrass her ADR and disengage so that she will burn her HP in no time.
With his knock up which is sometimes hard to dodge is his specialty. Try to predict when he's going in, that when he try to use his 3rd Ability to dash to his ADR and then quickly uses his 2nd Ability to knock you up. To counter this, you need to avoid sticking together and focus on his ADR. He can't do much even you all out to his ally, even his charm from his ultimate in early laning is quite useless since your very tanky. Just wait for him to use his 2nd Ability to try knock you up and then focus on his ADR so he can't do much about it.
Even if you got hooked in, just hook back to his ADR and do you thing. Even though he can knock enemies up or silencing them, that's all he can do. Hook, combo and flee.
Just dodge her root and your good. Just don't walk straight to her or its a free root for her. When engagin, try to bait her stun then go in to his ADR or even her. Its an easy lane for you.
She is good at poking from her 2nd Ability while healing her if happens to hit you or your ally. Good disable from her 1st Ability, so try to avoid her bubble and her damage buff for auto. She is also good at disengaging or engaging with her ultimate which is hard to avoid because of its wide range. To do this, either harass her or focus on engaging her ADR. Repeat the process until one of them is dead.
Her poke is very annoying especially her passive auto. She deals so much damage in early and after she gain her ultimate. Make a distance whenever she try to trade, avoid her passive auto, avoid sticking together because she can stun both of you from her ultimate and try to stay healthy before jumping in. Do not catch her bubble or you will be punished to it because even your a tank, you useless if your HP is low which at the point you can't longer initiate.
She frequently spam her skills so she can deal damage to you or your ADR. I means, you will likely play defensively like avoiding her skill shots and her charm. Do not stick together because if one of you get's charm will punished greatly. Do not worry, if you stack some magic resist early like Mercury Treads, Tier 2 Magic Resist item from either Abyssal Mask/Spirit Visage or early Locket Enchant, deal with her is easy. Focusibg either one of them when you have enough item and go all-in, Seraphine can't do anything much else than healing her ally.
Galio support is mediocore whrn dealing with him. Whenever you engage, he just going to use his taunt so your combo will be cancelled out and get punished by if he is smart enough. Just try to bait him or use his taunt before engaging so he can't defend his ADR or himself from your crowd control. Also, if he is not present in the lane, he may waiting from the bush and then uses his ultimate if you go and kill his ADR. Or maybe he's ganking other lane, so keep that in mind. In addition, pay attention to his build. If he build Tank items then it is not hard to lane against him and ignore him completely while focusing his ADR after he uses his taunt. If he build AP items, then that the problem starts. You may build early magic resist and locket enchant just for him so you can struggle a little bit from his poke. Either way, watch out from his taunt and ultimate. That is his bread and butter combo.
His kit is literally counters you. He can knock you back or knock you up whenever engaging. He is also tanky from his ultimate which makes his unkillable if you try to focus on him. If his 2nd Ability can auto stun you or R, try to use your 1st Ability quickly so that, you can disable him first before him.
His kit makes him a great support and very tanky, too for his ADR. He is great at disengaging when he use his ultimate. Also, even you engage, he just going to stun you up with his 1st Ability and Passive, good for defense and offense at the same time. To avoid this, focus only on his ADR so he either focus on yours or help his ally when clashing. Doing this will make the battle easy. In addition, do not stay close together as his ultimate's range and wideness is enormous. That way, you will be able at least to fight back or disengage.
Since its a mirror match, the laning phase depends on who's going to have an upperhand first. Having a great synergy with your ADR like Jinx or Jhin that can follow-up your combo is an advantage. This game will depend who are skilled in dodging skilshots, protecting their ally or being tanky than it's mirror self. Its just depends, hard to say.
With a new and experimental Meta, Ziggs can now play support AP (like Lux or Serraphine). With his poking skills and low cooldown, it's hard to counter it. Even you go all-out, he can just place a knock back bomb on your position and ruin your combo. Also, his ultimate deals quite amount of damage which is hard to dodge because of its recent buff where the range is huge. To counter this, try to dodge his bombs and try to focus on him first. If you messed up, he will lijely delete along with his ally your HP in a matter of tine.
Because of her kit, Janna is excel at disengaging where as you excel on initiating which means it pretty much counter you. When you use your 3rd Ability, she can just 1st Ability you and disengage. Not to mention her Ultimate which literally change the tide of war. To avoid this, you either bait her on using her tornado/ultimate then strike all-in or initiate with your ultimate first then go all-out on her so that she will lose the opportunity to use hers. Sadly, she deals huge damage from her poke and her movement speed with her 2nd Ability makes it hard for you to chase after her. So in conclusion, either lock her first and kill her or wait to the right opportunity where her abilities are on cooldown and strike her ADR.
Even though she's a literally paper when it comes in durability, her abilities makes up for it. She also, excel on poking and disengaging so it make it hard for you to lane against. To do this, just stay out of her range from her autos, her 3rd Ability and dodge her 1st ability, too. That way, it'll become easy to pick either her or her ADR.
Leona is a very good champion and balance in any elo there is. Her kit are literal build for engage and kills not only she's very tanky but also good on locking down her opponents. The build set up can be vary on enemies' champion. She is very flexible against them and works pretty much to it. With the help of your team, any teamfights can be won and always on your favor.
Good Leona players will always watch her map, predict on where the enemy is, roam and hunt any free kills and gank like a jungler would do.
Bad Leona players will go in with or without her teammate to follow up, spam her abilities unnecessarily, and run first in a middle of the fight.
These are the common traits when using her and basically a typical player who will likely go do his thing and doesn't care about his teammate. With that said, I almost cover her overall best feature, her strengths and weaknesses, and her typical/stiuational builds. Hopefully this guide will help you throughout your journey as a support tank Leona and who wants to main her! That's all for today, thank you for reading my guide!!!
Rocketmania, signing out, Peace~~~