[2.4b] Nasus Guide - The Nasus Support Guide V1.0
The Nasus Support Guide V1.0
- Great CC able to hinder opponent carry useless unless cleansed.
- Good chip damage with great consistency and less dependence on items.
- Great laning pressure.
- Able to greatly impact objectives when left alone.
- Lack of kits to synergize with and protect your carry.
- Immobile & squishy
- May cause excessive lane disturbance / negatively impact economy of your Carry if used incorrectly.
Best Build Guide for Nasus
Item Build Description
Additional information on the items
Start with Sapphire Crystal and build into Tear of the Goddess at first opportunity as Nasus is very mana demanding; acquire Ionian Boots of Lucidity to boost mobility and allow faster cooldowns on Spirit Fire ;preferably with Locket Enchant as Nasus lacks ways in his tookit to protect your carry.
Your first major item should be either [luden’s echo] or [liandry’s torment].
[luden’s echo] provides a spike in your damage, drastically boosting the effectiveness of your Spirit Fire especially against squishy carries extra mana allows more frequent harassments, grant you an edge in the laning phase.
While [liandry’s torment] is more effective later in the game and against tankier champions, with HP stats helping with survivability, a better choice when behind, and to be a general annoyance.
However it should be noted [archangel’s staff] should not be the first (even second in some circumstances) major item for Nasus as he is unlikely to complete stacking Tear of the Goddess due to his long cooldowns.
Late game items can be flexible, magic penetration items, such as Void Staff and Morellonomicon should be considered if enemy is purchasing MR items to ensure sufficient amount of damage, this is commonly the case in most games.
Due to your Spirit Fire being a large AoE ability that is highly likely to hit, acquiring additional on-hit effects according to enemy composition never hurts. [rylai’s crystal scepter] helps you to slow the enemy down and giving you more health against assassins; Morellonomicon can seriously disrupt the enemy teams healing and lifesteal.
While Nasus does not benefit significantly from raw AP, it may be still optimal to purchase [rabadon’s deathcap] to further boost the high AP stats from other previous items, if there is no priority for effects or magic pen.
Best Runes for Nasus
Loyalty boosts the survivability of yourself and your carry, other alternatives can be considered when required, such as against strong engravers.
How to distribute skill points
When to take which summoners
Learn how to maximize the champions potential
The core ability of every AP
and your main harassment from laning to lategame.
You should always keep in mind of minion waves and place your Spirit Fire around them to target only enemy champions and avoid disrupting your carry’s farming routine.
Enemy will be aware of this as time goes on, use patience and keep placing your Spirit Fire without disrupting your carry farming. Constantly switching positions can give you better angles.
Wither is the ability that enables Nasus to be a good support, using Wither in early game fights can seriously cripple the damage output of opponent carry, disrupt enemy farming or just to cause annoyance.
you should always preserve Wither if there is likely to be a fight, you can capitalize on the greed of enemy to ‘bait’ them into making mistakes by overestimating their damage; ensure a kill by immobilizing an opponent champion or slow down an enemy jungler gank.
Nasus Matchups & Counters
Detailed information on how to play matchups and counters
Sona can shield or heal off your Spirit Fire with her Aria Of Perseverance , and can possibly have better pressure using her Hymn Of Valor , however due to her low damage and squishiness there should be ample opportunity to engage a fight via using Wither either shutting off her carry, negating most damage of the duo, or just to lock down a defenseless Sona .
In the late game, Morellonomicon will be a useful item to acquire.
With Arcane Shift granting himself mobility and his spellslinging nature relying less on auto attacks than other carries, good positioning and solid skills will help you to pressure Ezreal in laning phase.
Draven excels in early game and he can have adequate sustain against your Spirit Fire upon purchasing Bloodthirster , attempt staying out of range of Spinning Axe when laning, if enemy insists engaging in fight try turning it around using a well placed Wither . Be extra careful when supports such as Thresh or Blitzcrank is present.
Always be mindful of Help, Pix! when casting your Spirit Fire , attempt to use body language to bait out Help, Pix! to land a good hit, be aware Wild Growth and [luku:3] can allow enemy carry to survive past your Wither if you are engaging a fight, if Lulu is paired with a hypercarry, consider being [exhaust] against Quicksilver Enchant alongside your Wither to ensure the carry keep crippled.
Annie can burst you down quickly with her carry, make sure to stay at a safe range when trading, as your Spirit Fire out range her, try play safe in laning phase and prevent fights unless absolutely necessary, and out damage her as a support in later stages.
Attempt picking a different support champion against Annie
Your Wither is a powerful tool in shutting down Jinx consider bringing [exhaust] to mitigate the effect of Quicksilver Enchant , hitting your Wither and [exhaust] at the right opportunity will make the matchup trivial.
Your advantage is the early game, try to apply pressure while staying safe, denying Jinx late game power for as long as possible.
Apply pressure with your Spirit Fire and avoid getting hooked by Rocket Grab , due to Blitzcrank having multiple CC it may be worth to get defensive items as his CC may deny you from able to use Fury Of The Sands and Locket Enchant , translating a hook into more likely of a takedown.
Playing against Lux support is mainly based on skills, cast your Spirit Fire based on usage of Prismatic Barrier , use fake body language to trick her into using Prismatic Barrier so you can land a solid hit.
When or not to Nasus sup.
When to pick support Nasus :
- When your team has low AP damageas your Spirit Fire can deal surprisingly amount of chip damage.
- When you want to play something you are farmilliar, but enemies have no idea how to play against - a niche build AP nasus support is!
- When you just want to play a fun build!
When NOT to pick support Nasus :
- When your teammates strongly objects your choice, in this situation it may be more effective to pick conventional supports to prevent negativity.
- When an AP poke squishy support is not the ideal, if your team has too many AP and would require a tank, different support will do the job a lot better.
DOs & DONTs of sup. nasus
DOs of support Nasus :
- Be fully supportive of your carry, from both gameplay and communication point of view. Even as an independent support as Nasus is, it is still important to look out for your carry, even when he’s having a bad game.
- Always be considerate when using your Spirit Fire , as when used incorrectly Spirit Fire can be greatly disruptive to your carry’s farming, avoid minions in general while hitting champions, especially low health ones to prevent taking unnecessary farm.
DONTs of support Nasus :
- It is best not to stack Siphoning Strike , as AP support Nasus would struggle to find a chance to ever safely land Siphoning Strike making stacks irrelevant, stay safe and poke, while only use Siphoning Strike for pushing, Tear of the Goddess stacking and objectives.
- Don’t take economy from other teammates, even if you are carrying, as Nasus has a low dependence on items the economy is likely to fare better on even other teammates with a bad score. Try to hand over minions and kills to team in most situations.
- However, don’t hesitate to finish enemy off with your long range Spirit Fire for securing a kill if your carry is out of range, bringing [ignite] can also help with the situation.
How’bout other lanes?
AP Nasus can be a solid toplaner, and a below average midlaner, however picking Nasus into solo lanes can be very situational due to him being a one trick pony in what he does best - poke and single target CC.
AP caster Nasus top would mean requirement for a tanky jungler or support such as Dr. Mundo and Braum , and preferably an assassin midlaner. Hybrid Nasus top build also exists including AP tank build with Lich Bane and AD build with AP items, it may be interesting to give these builds a try.
AP Nasus mid may depend on the enemy midlaner, even as AP, Nasus will struggle to farm against majority of midlaners available. As AP Nasus only excels in poke damage, it may be a good idea to ensure existence of another AP damage source before picking.
Synergy’s of sup. Nasus
A few example of carries goes well with Nasus are as below:
- Miss Fortune has a solid early game lane pressure, this with Spirit Fire will be highly likely to disrupt enemy early game; Wither is also able to support landing of abilities such as Make It Rain and Bullet Time or scoring takedowns.
Thoughts on the build.
As a laid-back support main, after hundreds of games with AP Nasus support, mostly solo and duo, one of the hardest thing is to convince your team that you are not trolling - if they really insist, pick a different support instead, that’s the golden rule.
The strongest aspect of AP Nasus support is the lack of popularity of the build, in most games, you’ll be playing against opponents that have only seen the build once or twice in their carreer, this allows you to fully capitalize the surprise factor of the build - an early game Wither leading to a take down, then a long range Spirit Fire to snipe low HP recalling support, and a surprise Fury Of The Sands plus Locket Enchant to trick enemy jungler into a failed tower dive, the possibility is endless.
But the most important factor is to have fun - WR is a game and I’d say there is nothing more fun than recking slinging an off meta build!
First of all, gratitude to the mad lad LieuVijay on Reddit for creating this guide for AP Nasus support and inspired me for refining my build: https://www.reddit.com/r/wildrift/comments/l5n0n4/introducing_nasus_support_a_dog_is_a_dragon_lane
As you can see this guide is not finished in the current state - I will add additional matchups on the go after gaining more experience with the build.
Meanwhile please feel free to express any opinions or criticisms in the comment below, and please do share your experience with the build!